Core based licensing: Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter
• All physical cores in the server must be licensed. Servers are licensed based on
the number of processor cores in the physical server.
• A minimum of 16 core licenses is required for each server.
• A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor.
• Core licenses will be sold in packs of two.
• Eight 2-core packs will be the minimum required to license each physical server.
The 2-core pack for each edition is one-eighth the price of a 2-processor
license for corresponding Windows Server 2012 R2 editions.
• Standard Edition provides rights for up to two OSEs or Hyper-V containers
when all physical cores in the server are licensed. For every two additional
VMs, all the cores in the server have to be licensed again.
• The price of 16-core licenses of Windows Server 2016 Datacenter and Standard
edition will be the same price as the 2-processor license of the corresponding
editions of the Windows Server 2012 R2 version